View Single Post
Old 08-25-2017, 02:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
DontRemember

Originally Posted by Flinders39 View Post
I was just thinking the same thing! I have a sobriety app that tracks my progress - I've been sober for 39 days and have saved 591 dollars!
Amazing, huh?
I'm at 9 months minus a one night 'slip' over two months ago and I see why they told me at my 2nd or 3rd AA meeting(court ordered.. at first) to not make any large purchases in the first year. Funny story about the savings; I was riding with one of my partners to lunch the other day and had zero cash on me,so we stopped by the drive through ATM. I just handed him my card and told him my pin(done it many times over the years),he handed me the cash and receipt. Not even thinking I just waded up the receipt and tossed it in his door. The very next day he stops by my place and 'confronts me'(he's been a HUGE part of my recovery in all aspects!). "Are you gambling again?" is the first words out of his mouth.. I was kinda taken back and told him,with a confused look on my face; "no, I'm not,why do you ask?"(when I drink, I gamble a lot).. He pulls my bank receipt out of his pocket,was cleaning out his car the night before and noticed my account balance. I told him that's what not going out and 'partying' for 9 months has done to me. He was shocked to actually see it! At the start of my recovery he sat with me and we wrote out how much I was spending per month on my 'vices' and it was over $2k(US) every month,sometimes more,so we called it an "easy $30,000 yearly" I was running through. "I've just been letting it grow instead of go", I told him. I did have to pay for lunch that day though. Let me say..It's a very good feeling when people close to you start noticing your positive change(s) during recovery especially when you start noticing them.

Congrats on your 39 days and new found wealth!