View Single Post
Old 08-24-2017, 06:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Smile1478

New here but not new to this life

Hello. I'm new here as well but have beem struggling for awhile. My husband always drank but increased significantly over past 2 years. Through much pain for all of us, child services, counselling for kids and I, Al anon, his DUI, he seemed to have got to a better place with group counselling, depression meds and I've changed too. I don't react the way I did, adding fuel to the fire. I've been told when he is drinking usually that I try to control him 24/7, I don't socialize enough and he feels negativity towards me. I'll admit when things were really bad I was trying to control a crazy situation and made sure kids and I got professional help and had support. I do socialize but not every type of socializing needs drinks. I work fulltime, we have teens, go to gym, hang out with other parents and families, out for dinner few times a week with husband or others. And I like to have some drinks too but don't need it. His dad was an alcoholic and there's no contact. I decided to keep going and give him a chance to rebuild the relationship with me and our kids (teens) as long as I can control my emotions and I'm not miserable all the time. My question to you all is if there is ever any real change? I feel there has been but a lot I think has happened from how I've changed my reactions.(Thx to Alanon) Am I just kidding myself?? Just need to hear from others who understand. Thx.