Old 08-23-2017, 05:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
brettisdamaged

Thank you all so much for your responses, you have no idea how much of a relief it is to hear stories of others who have been through PAWS and conquered it ! This truly has been the most scariest thing I've ever been through but I have faith that I will get through it, when I do I'll look back on it and thank the living lord that I'll never have to go through such torment again!

About the meds, I went in to see a Psych Doc yesterday and she had determined that I had Bipolar II disorder. She explained that currently my dopamine levels were below than operating normal because of the years of drug/alcohol abuse causing the dopamine receptors to burn out, hence the reason I have the brain fog symptoms causing the cognitive impairment.

She also explained interestingly enough that the reason I had been abusing drugs/alcohol in the first place was because I had been unknowingly self medicating myself due to the imbalance of dopamine that my brain wasn't producing enough of (Bipolar II). The solution she said would be to then put me on a combination of an anti-depressant (Wellbutrin) and mood stabilizer (Epilizine) to get my dopamine levels back to a normal , functional level.

I'm still unsure as to whether this medication will help with the PAWS symptoms. I'm even still unsure as to whether or not I even have a Bipolar II mood disorder :/.. Either way I still remain positive and hope that this medication works, even if it does help alleviate the fogginess slightly just so that I can bear with the healing process. Have any of you tried Wellbutrin and have it work for you? Will definitely keep you all posted on my progress

Thank you for all the encouraging responses yet again! I have found it to be very helpful.