View Single Post
Old 08-21-2017, 04:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
taplow

Hi SimplyFree, I'm glad to hear that from you and I know that a belief in God is something that can transform someone. I don't want to get into a theological debate because I'll **** someone off. I should say straight away that I'm a complete non- believer, though I'm not one of those that feels all superior about it.
I think that my favourite people are those who believe and don't believe at the same time. What I mean by that is that they follow a religion but they don't go into the nuts and bolts of it. They're not literalists. For a brief time I once had a girlfriend who was a Catholic. When I asked her about it she said she wouldn't go into it, she didn't delve into it but that it was just something she just accepted and kept in the background. That's what I like, that it's not defined.
Though I don't believe, I think it fulfills something that we need. I respect it because I think it's a part of our psychological make up. We're naturally religious/superstitious - our ancestors prayed for the crops to grow, what else could they do? It's difficult to sweep so much of that humanity away through reason.
I'm drunk. I wouldn't be going on like this now.
Anyway, some kind of road to Damascus is needed for me I think.