View Single Post
Old 08-19-2017, 01:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
BullDog777

Originally Posted by iew101 View Post
I also have a 4 month old son now and learning to deal with that stress plus the not drinking plus the OCD and plus adjusting to a new marriage with the baby is overwhelming at times.

I'm contemplating trying Lexapro that I was prescribed but scared of side effects.
My thinking changed drastically when I became a father. It was "get sober or die trying"

It took a long time before the sobriety thing stuck, but I was always trying.

For me, most of this is for my family. My daughter didn't ask for any of this so it's my responsibility to make sure she's not scarred from it.

I hate to sound cliche' but Oprah once said "When you know better, you do better." So as a father, I have to do whatever it takes. Painful and messy as it is and was, just persevere.

If the Lexipro is too scary, try something else. I was on an anti-anxiety for the first 6 months I was sober. There are sooooo many out there now. Just make sure they don't give you any class benzos. Those are very dangerous for people in recovery.

The OCD stuff was really hard to treat. There isn't any meds that work for it like good ol' fashioned CBT therapy. Cognitive Behavior Therapy. When I got into that; when I was in rehab, I made a lot of progress very quickly. A lot of it for me was I didn't understand most of what I was feeling. Getting to talk about it in therapy helped, tons.