Thread: Relapse
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2017, 02:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
DarklingSong

Originally Posted by DD931 View Post
Unfortunately it is just not an option for me this time. I plan to do a quick taper which I know for a lot of people don't work but it is what has to happen this time and I do believe it has worked for some.. I will post updates and hope that although most of readers will disagree with my method that I will still be accepted in this great recovery community.
I have a great plan waiting for me to attempt long term sobriety once again... Thanks for listening! I also feel I should have kept posting even after getting sober because whoa does that have it's ups and downs! But I fell down and I hope I'm not judged too harshly on how I get back up
Ultimately, we all have to find our own way. I have had 2 bad experiences withdrawing; one last year and one this year (2 months ago). In between these I had one stint of being sober for a month that was after a taper and it did lessen the withdrawal symptoms. Some people have posted here about managing to taper, so if there are no other options then my view is it is better than continuing to drink at high levels. I think the experienced folk here see how risky and unpredictable tapering can be, so of course it is safer always to see a doctor. But no judgement......it is great you want to try and that you are willing to seek support. If you can, try and have someone around while you quit in case you need help/medical assistance.
One of the things I have learned the hard way is the each time I quit the withdrawal was worse. I wasn't drinking more.....it was the binge/withdrawing pattern that seems to have caused progressive damage to my nervous system. For me, that makes going back out a hellish prospect.

Good luck