Old 08-16-2017, 02:28 PM
  # 344 (permalink)  
Algorithm

Originally Posted by AlericB View Post
... AVRT is a distillation of the common wisdom of the self-recovered, the person on the street. I can't imagine many people having anything like the esoteric thoughts above. Most people would know as a matter of common sense that they can always change their mind [on their Big Plan] if they want to but won't because they enjoy their new, better life too much.
This is your Addictive Voice, and possibly a variation on the 'getting happy' contingency that many people like to throw in when it comes to addiction recovery. If one doesn't 'get happy' after quitting, it's back to that precious stuff -- or so they say.

With AVRT, we can simply recognize that the Beast is none too happy with a lifetime of abstinence -- and gloat. Beasts have feelings, but such feelings are nevertheless AV, and separation is the key.

Originally Posted by AlericB View Post
I agree. Even though things will invariably be better, if we let them, the attitude has to be "I'm going to quit come what may."
Things will be better in the sense that no new problems will arise from drinking or using, but what if you don't enjoy your new life?

What then?

Remember, a bargain is a contingency.