Old 08-16-2017, 06:28 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  
Fusion

Hi Aleric, I understand the point you're making. My take on it is, by making my BP, I secured the permanent application of my free-will, not to drink.

Like you, I don't intend to put it to the test and discover whether GerandTwine's point is true, (that I'd be unable to abandon the BP and drink, because that decision would be AV.).

When my BP was made I became a non-drinker. I did NOT make that decision without a huge maelstrom of angst and repeated deliberations. The Beast continued to project a return to occasional drinking, of fine wine/dining, crystal waters sailing/chilled wine........despite the fact those days were long gone and I was heading down the addiction spiral. Even as I made my BP, the Beast was still arguing that one day, I could become a 'normal' drinker.

I've read enough on addiction over the years and here on SR, to know that, once a line is crossed, despite a lenghty abstinence, the odds are that the alcohol consumption will rapidly ramp up to the original (unwanted) amount. I am resolute in my (final) choice and decision never to drink. The BP is a decision rooted in freedom, not loss of liberty; so to break my BP, I'd re-enslave myself by loss of freedom.

There are myriad actions I won't carry out, in essence, unwritten BPs. Such as, I'll never kick, maim or starve my dogs or cats. I hold my BP on the same moral plane. Why would I wish to overturn my BP on animal welfare, any more than I'd wish to overturn my BP on my own and families welfare? Of course I have the freedom to change my mind, I'm not brainwashed: I just won't envision it, as it would contravene my BP. My Beast can envision it though, poor thing.