View Single Post
Old 09-23-2005, 08:39 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
StandingStrong

While not all of these apply, I've been searching in my own family and myself for answers to many things. These characteristics listed do help, but of course, being individuals they may not all apply.
I guess the point I'm getting at is what a previous poster said about dysfunction being dysfuntion. Very true regardless of the use of alcohol or other drugs in a family.
For myself, my parents are not A's and neither am I. However, my brother is as well as my husband. When my brother went to a rehab hospital, they requested a family counseling meeting. At that meeting, the counselor made my mom very angry because he explained that although my mother is not an A, she has the characteristics of one. At the time, I didn't understand that and neither did she. I now see it, not only in her but some of her siblings (my grandfather was an alcoholic). Actually both of my grandfathers were and I can see how that affected both of my parents. And in turn, how that affected me.
Having had a very good talk with my 16 year old son tonight, I can only hope that my children truly have learned from the mistakes that ah and I have made. I can tell you that my children have issues with drinking and I hope that this will lesson their chances of becoming active alcoholics. Though I know that having lived with us has affected them and will do so for the rest of their lives.
While these characteristics that were listed are a good guide, I just hope that everyone will realize that it's what we do with the information that we see in ourselves compared to that list that truly matters. I am the way I am for the reasons that be - but I have the choice to be whoever I choose to be.