View Single Post
Old 08-15-2017, 09:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
dandylion
Community Greeter

swingout.....Alcoholics Anonymous is for anyone who wants to get sober.....
Alanon is for anyone who has been effected by an alcoholic in their life. It is focused on the loved ones (not the alcoholic)....

swingout---a basic fact about alcoholism....it will come, eventually, to effect every area of an alcoholic's life.....It will have effects on the persons work life, physical life, emotional life, and their relationships, all around....
And, it is progressive....it gets worse, over time...not better....
It can only be put into remission (never "cured"), by complete abstainence....

It is good to understand the nature of alcoholism, so that one can know what one is up against....

from what you shared with us...I can see that you are (naturally) concerned about the effects that it is having on your wife...and, by extension...the effects, and possible future effects on you and your child....

It is not unusual that she would become angry when you bring up the subject of her drinking...that is pretty standard.....
And, denial is a feature of the disease.....

About change...she, like everyone else, will only change if she sees the need of it for herself.....
That doesn't mean that you have to hide your thought and feelings and concerns, though.....

alanon has been suggested....and, it is a place where other people who can understand, beyond words, what you are going theough...as they have walked in your same shoes...of loving an alcoholic....
A therapist and alcoholism counselor can be of support to you, also......

As far as educating yourself.....the "stickies"....the articles at the tip of the main page...just above the threads....contains a treasure library of information.
I suggest that you go to the third one down, and find the section called "classic Readings".....and begin to read the articles, there....

Also, there are thousands of real life stories, here on the forum....You will find your story among them, also.....You can draw validation and inspiration from reading their real life experiences.....

I hope that you will continue to hang around and post and learn......you are not alone....