Thread: Choice?
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2017, 03:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Seren
Forum Leader

Hi Berrybean,

I think you misunderstand me to quite a degree. I don't feel responsible for my stepson. He is a 30-something year old man who is going to have to work out his life on his own. He is alive and scraping by somehow. I do not know the details. *chuckle* and I'm not holding on to an elephant's tail I do live, and I do surround myself with people who are emotionally available-- Well, I am still grieving, but...

I am just speaking in general terms and trying to sort out some ideas in my own mind. I am just pondering choices as they relate to both family members and those addicted.

Believe me when I say I am fully aware of how powerless I am over my stepson's addiction. My late husband and I came to a point where we would tell his son we would think about whatever request he made and get back to him. If we did choose to cover a medical bill, we would pay for it directly to the provider--not him. If we chose to cover one-month's rent, we would pay it to the landlord, not to him, and so on. That, I suppose, is along the lines of the 'choices' available to family members...we choose how much, or not, we are willing to do.