View Single Post
Old 08-14-2017, 10:03 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
vaya

One more word about my frustrations with rehabs...When I first call to get the information and get the process going, or at least get an appointment, many times the facility will not talk to me because he is an adult. They insist on talking to him, even just to get the basics. While that would seem to make sense, in the case of heroin addicts, or at least my AS, he's either too loaded or too dope sick to make or take the call. It's just nuts how rehabs expect addicts to show up clean and take all these steps to get in. At the same time, what the rules, facility, requirements, and more is like is a mystery up until the last minute in most cases. Ultimately, that isn't as big a problem if someone want help, I guess they'll go in no matter what. But I don't understand why rehabs aren't more transparent about their requirements, etc, even on their websites. Others don't follow what they've posted. Some are listed with SAMSHA as accepting patients on opiate medications (like suboxone), but then say they won't let them take it at the facility.
The one he is going to, that insisted on detox, has a medical detox component in their program, which uses suboxone, could only take my AS insurance for rehab, but it didn't cover detox! That's why he had to prolong the process to wait longer to get into the medical detox his insurance covered. And this is the same rehab that won't let him take his suboxone there, even under their doctor's supervision. When he spoke with them about Outpatient instead that day, rather than enroll him right then, so we had a plan and structure in place for the next day, then they insisted he bring recent medical records or get a physical so they could get him into Outpatient and have insurance cover it. Another delay in the process! He did try to get a physical with his doctor, but his veins are so collapsed they cannot draw blood. He had just come back from a medical detox, but that wasn't enough!
Other rehabs required that he separate from the facility for at least 30days before returning and that he be clean when he do so! I don't know too many Heroin addicts that are going to leave rehab for 30 days and then not use!

I needed to vent more about the frustration with the rehabs.
But...still had to share how the rehabs themselves can worsen the problem on many levels. They are not all they are cracked up to be. it's just a place for someone to stay and hopefully use the tools and counseling to get over their addiction. They do not really help much with transition to life.
Sober livings are one option, but they are ridiculous too, since you can be discharged without a refund if you test dirty or they are more expensive than renting a room, just because they drug test.

Finally, my AS was court ordered and put on probation. He was ordered to the drug rehab for a year. He wound up completing about 6 months and then went to another rehab. Probation doesn't drug test him either. Idk why that wasn't part of the orders. Even the court messed up. At least he my AS had to UA with Probation he would suffer natural consequences of getting remanded to custody.
Seems like it just doesn't go the way it does with other success stories here and elsewhere.
So, while my AS needs to want to get over his addiction, many of the places & circumstances that are options make it ridiculous. I know the bottom line is his making it work at rehab or wherever he goes if he wants it badly enough and wants a life without drugs. (It would help tho if rehabs made it a little easier to get going on the process.)