Old 08-14-2017, 06:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
biminiblue

Originally Posted by jay37 View Post
Thanks for your response. Very well thought out. Guess it comes down to if the person is actually an alcoholic or not. If you are moderation and harm reduction wont work. most likely. I guess my question is if you are more the problem drinker type and you can have a drink and not go on a week long bender is moderation or harm reduction viable alternatives to deal with the issue. I guess this question opens up a whole another can of worms as to when one qualifies as a alcoholic.
"A week long bender" is not necessarily the only outcome after "a" drink. There is a wide field of bad outcomes and not very many good ones for a Problem Drinker. I had times when I could have a drink. Thing is, that wasn't 100% reliable. I couldn't guarantee that every time I wanted *a* drink that I would stop before something happened which wasn't intended...like 12 drinks.

In the last several years I've never accidentally had 12 drinks, because I never had one drink.

"Alcoholic" is just a word - subject to a lot of subjective definitions and not really all that useful here in general.

I take it you admit you are a problem drinker.

If alcohol is a problem then stopping using it is the solution. Full stop.