View Single Post
Old 08-08-2017, 11:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Berrybean

In the city where I lived there was quite a difference in meetings. There was one in particular where the conversation stayed very negative and problem focussed. People would get a bit cantankerous at the mention of the Big Book or 12-steps or sponsors.

I would suggest that you do give a selection of meeting options a go and find the ones that you feel comfortable in. The meetings marked 'Big Book' or with words like 'Study' in the name tend to indcate (to me anyway) that the focus of the meeting will be the program. General share meetings are lovely if they are a good meeting, but can also turn into general moan meetings if not.

If / when you find one meeting that suits you, have a chat with others there and ask which other meetinsg in the area they enjoy and would recommend. When you're feeling stronger you could always try that original meeting again and see (if out of nothing but curiosity) if that was the norm for that meeting or a one off.

I'm so sorry that was your first experience of the fellowship. It really isnt the 'norm' (in my area anyway).

Wishing you all the best for your recovery and sobriety.

BB