View Single Post
Old 08-08-2017, 10:06 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
honeypig

Regarding the lab work--for years now I have ordered my own labs through Health One Labs online (I am hypothyroid and can attest to how important it is to stay on top of this, as dandy mentions). You order the tests you want online and choose which local lab will perform the blood draw/urine collection/whatever. No doctor's order is needed. You pay w/a credit card (and I will say that the cost is MUCH less than when I was going through my health care provider) download your lab order, print it out, and take it to the lab.

The local lab performs the draw/collection/whatever. In a few days you receive an email w/a link for you to download your results. Since a reference range is always printed next to your results and results out of range are highlighted in red, it's easy to see if anything is showing a red flag. This way you have an idea whether anything is out of whack BEFORE scheduling the office visit. Also, you can show up w/the results in hand and discuss them w/your doc at that visit, rather than scheduling an office call, then scheduling your (expensive) lab work, and then scheduling ANOTHER office call to discuss the results.

I love the fact that the results come to ME, not my doctor's office. I of course print out a copy for my doc, but I want to know specifically what is going on, not just to have my doc scan a mysterious list, going "hmmm."

I can't say how it works if you do it through your insurance--my deductible is so high that I know I'll be paying out of pocket anyway, so I just do that to start with.

And I do realize this route may not be for you--many, if not most, people are so overwhelmed by so much of our "health care" that they would never contemplate ordering their own labs. However, if you're interested and have any further questions on how things work w/this particular company, I suggest checking their web site. You can also PM me if I can be of use.

***Let me be clear, I am NOT advocating that people try to treat or diagnose serious health conditions on their own. I AM advocating that this is a reasonably-priced way to monitor basic health parameters like a complete blood count, thyroid hormones, cholesterol and the like.***