View Single Post
Old 08-06-2017, 02:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Originally Posted by Sasha1972 View Post
(It might make the argument for sole custody as a "period of transition" stronger - give ex the time he needs to stabilize various aspects of his life, which may now include gender identity along with finances, mental and physical health, addiction, etc).
I think I'd avoid making that argument. If the court does it on its own, that's one thing, but you certainly don't want to give the appearance of assuming he's "unstable" by virtue of the alleged gender identity issue. Believe me, he will jump at the first opportunity to accuse you of bias, of tainting his relationship with his child because of the gender issue, yada yada. That's why I was suggesting you simply keep the focus on the drinking and behavior issues. If he claims that his gender identity issues have caused his drinking, I'd just respond that you hope that's the case and will look forward to his being in a position to spend more time with your child once the drinking issue has been addressed. Keep the ball in his court, IOW.