Thread: Should I quit?
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2017, 09:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
percy333

Should I quit?

Hi guys,

Hope everyone is well. I'm looking for a bit of advice if that's OK. Basically, I'm not sure whether I would actually define myself as an 'alcoholic' in the strictest sense. My issue is that I am seemingly incapable of having a casual, sociable drink. Once I have that first sip, I get a 'taste for it' and drink myself to oblivion. I also do this alone (last night I had 4 pints, and 2 bottles of wine alone... which actually seems pretty terrible upon writing it down). Please note, I only drink alone to such an extent once a week or fortnight; I find it helps me unwind (or pass out).

Although undiagnosed, I'm pretty sure I have a mild form of bi-polarity, in the sense I occasionally feel depressed, and sometimes go a bit manic (the other week I woke up on a train in the middle of nowhere, after falling out with my friend and sleeping in Rome's main train station).

I'm driving my Vespa down to the Amalfi Coast next week with a friend, but after that (August 18) I'm seriously considering knocking drink on the head. For good. Does anybody have any thoughts on the matter? Do you think I should? I'd really appreciate some advice; my girlfriend is at the end of her tether!