Old 08-03-2017, 04:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Mango blast

Originally Posted by witchx27 View Post
Hello, I'm here because I am at a total loss about where to turn or where to get advice.

I have been with someone for the last 3 months who suffers from social anxiety and depression.

I feel like the rug has been pulled out from underneath me because he's 6 days into a binge and I have no idea what to do. On Sunday night he called me threatening suicide, I rushed over and he was passed out. He woke up and kept on drinking whilst we spoke. He fell asleep and woke up at 3am and had more beer, fell back asleep and then carried on drinking in the morning. I naively believed he was going to be fine after hours of him telling me he would be - 'I don't need monitoring, I'm going to just recover quietly by myself, its under control' - and left. That was Monday and he's still there, still drinking, still hating every fibre of his being.

I think I've done all the things you aren't supposed to do - I've tried reasoning, I've said how its made me feel, I've gotten angry. I'm worried I'm making things worse not better. I feel trapped, as if I might as well be in that room with him because it feels like nothing else matters until he pulls himself out of this. I feel like I'm willing hours to pass because it is another day over and hopefully another day closer to this ending.

At this point, whilst I really care a great deal about this guy - I'm crazy about him -
I'm sorry you're going through this. It sounds like you're telling many parts of my own story, wrapped up in a shorter time frame.

Things I found that helped me...

1 - Walking out. Walking away.

2 - Calling others to hand him over to since I was truly afraid for his safety and sanity: police, AA members, mental health departments

They were able to help in ways I never could. And... he still drank until he finally didn't. All the help from professionals along the way did help, but it couldn't get him to stop drinking. That was his choice that took a very long time to come.

I tried doing the second step above before the first and that never, ever worked out. I had to get out of the way first and then hand it over to others before things started to change for me and my physical, emotional, mental and spiritual health.

Alanon, prayer, connecting with my inner self, therapists, etc. help me heal, but getting away PHYSICALLY from this family disease of alcoholism was absolutely necessary for my healing.

(((((Hugs))))