Old 08-03-2017, 11:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Smarie78

Yep, can relate on every level. I agree with the above to GET OUT. I started dating my BF and 6 months into the relationship he had his first "binge". I knew at this point he was an alcoholic, but was going to meetings and had it under control from what I could see. I knew nothing about addiction either. Then 6 months later I was blindsided and he disappeared. I had no idea this was a normal thing for him to vanish for days at a time and drink himself silly alone in his room. The thing is, is that I didn't understand and I was naive and only 6 months in I decided to stay. That was the worst mistake I ever made. I had every reason in the world to leave (there were other reasons beside the drinking too), but I stayed. And guess what? It happened again every several weeks at a time. So basically what was one binge 6 months in with him, turned into another 9 months in, then another 11 months in, then another....and another....and over two years later not a single thing has changed. Not. ONE. THING.
3 months is super short to be in a relationship. If you left today you would be over him and the experience before you know it. If you stay, stick around and read through my threads and tell me if you think your anxiety and depression could withstand that. I know right now you feel like you are in love and that you love him, but this is so much bigger than you what he is dealing with. And when he comes out of this binge, it will happen over and over and over again. You will be looking forward to a life with police visits, ambulance rides, fights, lying to friends and family, looking for him all over town in the middle of the night, throwing away bedding and furniture he destroys because alcoholics can't hold their liquor in the physical sense either, dealing with consistent unemployment since he likely won't be able to keep a job, and flushing away all your years in trying to help a futile cause. He will not ever get better until HE decides. I have done everything in the book to help my BF. I have manipulated, threatened, gave ultimatums, it doesn't matter. When they are gonna drink, NOTHING you can do will stop them.

I know I'm preaching to the choir but if I can save anyone else from the mistakes I have made, it is worth it. Like I said, read through some of my threads. Nothing int he world is worse than wondering every day if they are dead or alive. it does a number on your emotions. I know that feeling too well of being there mid-binge and wondering how long they can go and praying every day that they are "done". but even when they are...it's just they are done for now. It will keep on going....