View Single Post
Old 08-02-2017, 04:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
MNVikes4life

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Just to clarify this a little... "open" means that the meeting is just that, for everyone - it has nothing to do with anonymity being chosen, per se. Many of us continue to go to Open Discussion meetings as the norm, adding other kinds- mens', womens', Big Book, 12&12- as we go along. Closed meetings are for members of AA only. Note: the only requirement for membership is a desire to quit drinking.

As to your original post- many of us now committed to AA (me, for example) were nervous, resentful, apprehensive, grudging, all kinds of negative or wary things, before we went to our first meeting. I knew it was my last resort and was still exhausted and generally mad at life and it was a long time before I spoke in a meeting.

Like I said, the only requirement for "membership" is a desire to quit drinking. You may have people approach you, you may not. I personally came a little late and left a little early at first because what I found tedious- the reading of the steps and How It Works and such, usually done at mtgs held around Atlanta where I am- and the Serenity Prayer (usually done at beginning and/or end of the meeting, else The Lord's Prayer) all really grated on me. I went to meetings anyway and now at 17 mo wouldn't trade my life in AA for anything in the world.

Take care- only you can decide to quit drinking for good, and AA is one of the successful ways many of us stay sober. There is (for me and many people I know) much more to the program than just not drinking - part of finding that is why you will likely hear people suggest "90 in 90" (meetings in days) so that you give yourself time to have your head clear, get started being used to AA (so to speak) and have a chance to learn about a new way of life, sober.

You can do it! Hope to see you around here.
Thanks August. I can't believe the overwhelming support from everyone here already. People really care and its awesome to see. I appreciate the advice on AA and yes I will probably find parts of it that I find "lame" or boring, but I have hear many good things about it and I know being with people in person that know the struggle we face will be very beneficial. I can't wait to give everyone feedback on my first meeting....should happen within a couple days