View Single Post
Old 08-02-2017, 04:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
MNVikes4life

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
I think the most important things to remember are...

Meetings are for anyone who wants to stop drinking (There is no 'not alcoholic enough' or 'too alcoholic')

You don't need to book ahead or give any on your full name. You can walk into any AA meeting anywhere (unless there are hender restrictions)

You don't need to say anything at all if you prefer not to

Everyone there will understand how hard it is walking into your first meeting because they remember it (even if only vaguely) and I don't know anyone who wasn't anxious at the start of their AA journey.

No one is expected to put money in the pot on their first meeting, but after the first meeting people put money together to go towards the running of the room

Everyone there is alcoholic. The people leading (acting as group secretary) are alcoholics as well. It is run for and by alcoholics. No one is the boss.

Different meetings have a different feel. Its worth trying different ones and finding the ones where you feel most comfortable.

On AA listings 'Open' means for alcoholics AND people interested for other reasons (sometimes professional capacity, or as a family member), 'Closed' meetings are for Alcoholics only.

If you have any questions after reading the link Dee posted and my little list, please ask away. No such thing as a silly question.

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery.
BB
Thank you Berry, this is all very helpful information. I really appreciate it. I'm feeling too full of anxiety and regret tonight to go, this is typical second part of my 2 day hangover so I'm hoping tomorrow I will feel great and go to a meeting. I might go drive up to MN from Chicago to spend time with family this weekend and talk to my bro-in law who is a former alcoholic