View Single Post
Old 08-01-2017, 09:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by icoi87 View Post
I just can't get past step one. I don't understand why. I can say it, but I can't really accept it.

Anyway, thanks for reading. Any encouragement much appreciated.
I can share my experience with the quoted part above because I recall saying the exact same thing - "I just cannot accept this!"

With the clarity of hindsight, here's what I was really saying, "This idea that I'm a real alcoholic runs so contrary to what I WANT, that I just refuse to believe it." Similar to the stages of grief that have had much written about them - my first step is to deny reality as such. I'll hold onto what I hope things will be, what I think they should be so tightly that I can flat out disregard what they actually are. My next step was typically say, "Well, I can see they kinda look like that now but really there's a lot more going on than you all can see so while it looks like X or Y.......it's really A or B."

Not to beat the specific wording to death but thank God the 1st step doesn't ask me to ACCEPT anything. If I accept my alcoholism then why the hell do anything to stop it, alter it, end it? Just accept it and find a way to live with it, ya know? Instead I'm asked if I can ADMIT it......if I can see reality for what it is (assuming I'm alcoholic of course) and once done, to NOT ACCEPT that fate and instead seek the solution.

Hope that helps.