View Single Post
Old 08-01-2017, 08:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
icoi87

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
Your post sounded like you had a good grip on step one. It is important because your clear and unreserved understanding of what step one means, what it means to be an alcoholic, will underpin your work in the rest of the steps. If there is any doubt, then doubt will sneak in right through the program. As in do I really need to do that kinda thinking.

How do you feel about these question. Do you want to stop for good and all? Are your problems due to alcoholism or do you harbour the hope that they will turn out to be from some other cause.? Do you hope that one day, maybe after a sufficient length of sobriety, you will be able to return to moderate drinking? Is there anything on your experience that leads you to believe it might be possible for you to be a normal drinker? What happens to real alcoholics who try to keep drinking? Is it ever a happy outcome? Are you any different?

I don't know about you, but I used to like twenty questions. I always got a good score when it came to alcoholism. About the only thing I could do right.
All of those questions are great and I'm thinking hard on them. I have accepted that I cannot ever drink again. I will never have a normal or healthy relationship with alcohol. I never have. I could keep drinking... maybe keep my job and apartment, and some relationships intact (probably not.) But I wouldn't be happy whatever the outcome. Alcohol provides me no happiness. Nothing good has come from it.

Thanks again for all the support. I'm loving this forum.