Thread: 17 months.
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2017, 08:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
BullDog777

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Bulldog, I don't want to pry, and if you're not comfortable answering I understand. My question is they said you had a slim chance of recovering, why? Is it because they didn't think you'd stop drinking, or that your body was just about done? Just curious. That BP number is insane. I've seen mine at 176/128 and thought I was going to explode.
It was for several reasons. I had been in and out of rehabs since I was 22. I'm 43 now. I've been drinking heavily since I was 17. Your chances actually go down for long term sobriety the longer you're on that rotating door of going in and out. I had been diagnosed with PTSD, OCD, and severe anxiety.

I also had a neurological sleeping disorder that nobody could treat without heavy dosages of benzos. It was directly caused by my alcoholism. They didn't know it was related until I had been there for awhile. Once I had completely detoxed, it went away completely. I literally hadn't had a restful nights sleep in years. Now that I'm clean I'm always joking that one of my favorite hobbies are long naps. haha.

My health was really bad. I was in such bad shape i was transported from one hospital to another because the county hospital wasn't able to handle the level of care I needed.

I was unconscious for 5-6 days. It was medically induced because of the level of withdrawal my body was in. I was at high risk for stroke, cardiac arrest and heart attack.

My heart was weak and had developed a rhythm problem due to excessive alcoholism. My kidneys were starting to shut down. I took meds for that for almost a year after I got clean.

In total, i think it was 7 different meds if i remember right to keep me kickin' after I finally left the hospital.

Everytime I went out, my alcoholism got markedly worse. Not like it progressed to an uncomfortable level and I needed help, it was like turning on a faucet and becoming that dude from Leaving Las Vegas.

So with that in mind...what the hell was next?

Death.

So...I didn't want that. I finally gutted up and went through every day, building on the last. Some days were hell, some days were amazing.
This is the longest I've ever been completely clean.

That's all I have to say. I'm pretty tired. I'm gonna grab a shower and get some sleep.

Night all.