Old 07-22-2017, 05:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Bekindalways

Originally Posted by LeeJane View Post
My siblings and I ranged between 7 to 12 years old. I think we realised very quickly that we shouldn't be in the "care" of a drunk. No, we wouldn't have blamed mum. We would have been relieved that we didn't have to go.

Access visit was Sunday afternoons. He was passed out for first few hours. Then awoke and was groggy. The whole thing was boring and felt a waste of time. He was usually late collecting us too. Plus drove drunk with us in the car. I remember being frightened about that.
Thanks for your response LJ.

I would think many kids feel this way but I have followed Sasha's path as she has struggled with a kid who is very attached to her father.

We had another poster who tried to keep teenage son away from A-father. Kid chose (understandable for a 17 to 18 year old) to be with father as then kid could party/drink without supervision. Kid wound up in major trouble.

When I first read Cyranok's post I agreed with it and still do for the most part; however I can see benefits of using subtleties in trying to extract a kid from the influence of an addict parent. If the child isn't allowed to see the realities of the alcoholism they might see sober parent as the problem not the alcohol.

Prayers, angels and strength to all of you coparenting with an alcoholic.