Thread: Rr
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2017, 07:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
dwtbd
quat

The biggest takeaway and perspective change I got from AVRT, was that I was wrong to try and stay sober. 'Staying sober' implies the possibility that I would choose to drink again.
Quitting for good, full stop, I will never drink again and not change my mind, the Big Plan doesn't allow for the possibility of choosing to drink, ever again.
I don't try or struggle to 'stay' sober, I Don't drink.
My AV wants me to try and stay sober , tells me that is what I have to do and for far too long I believed IT and tried , sometimes real hard , sometimes not, feeling the futility of struggling and eventually caving, because I was trying stay sober instead having Quit drinking.
AVRT/RR gave me the perspective to see that was the one of biggest tricks, lies of the AV. Focusing on how to try and stay sober hid the solution, which is to never put alcohol in my mouth ever again.
The AV (any thought of future drinking, or doubt in your ability to remain abstinent)hates the idea of 'never again' ,permanent abstinence, you can feel it squirm and bristle at mention of those terms , yeah?
IT will answer with scorn "you can't say never, that's ridiculous, history shows you don't really mean it, don't say never " . IT means it too, when you do say never ITs gig is up , IT says "don't think in terms of never, never say never" so IT can keep ITs foot in the door , slam the door all the way shut for good.
The top thread in the Stickies list above is a great read, have you checked it out yet?