View Single Post
Old 07-20-2017, 10:01 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Berrybean

I thought I was going insane after a month sober in my own. That's when I got willing to take myself to some AA meetings . That helped a lot as they were able to give me some reassurance with their own experence of intense anxiety in early sobriety, and what they did to get past it. Restless, irritable and discontent all seemed like understatement to me at that point, but that is the alcoholics natural state when they take away booze and have not yet experience to healing effects of working on their recovery for a sustained period. There is not a quick release mechanism for this. No instant gratification. Some people do get prescription medication from their GP to get through the initial stages. I was too scared I might become dependent on that so I didn't go down that line, but its a personal thing. It certainly helped my AA bestie.

What does your GP think? Presumably they would need to refer you anyway.

While you're waiting to go into treatment why not try some of the other things available that could knock the corners of the anxiety and get you a little relief just for today? Get to some meetings, talk to others who've walked the path ahead of you (and may even have had experience of the local support facilities, and know which GPs in your area are most clued up on addiction, because lots in the UK aren't really very clued up on it.)

Praying that you find some peace and support today. BB