View Single Post
Old 09-21-2005, 12:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blake
I'm an addict.

What up SS,

I think you rock and I think you are taking steps to better your life and you seem happy about it. I mean you no disrespect in what I'm about to say, but I need to say it.

As the devil's advocate:

NA is a program that is based on complete abstinance from all drugs. (this isn't my wording, it's the basic text's) With that as a foundation of the program, some people believe that it is impossible to move forward along the road to recovery untill complete abstinance is attained. Now I don't want you to think I'm talking down to you or think I'm better than you, b/c I don't, I was on methadone for 2 years before I got clean. I can relate. When I was on the done, I functioned normally and could pass of as a productive member of society most days, I thought I was clean. It wasn't till I put down the done and detoxed and got to NA that I realized how screwed my thinking was and how I couldn't live life without the use of drugs, my life was unmanagable and I had a disease. The fog doesn't begin to clear till you have no dope in your body, trust me. SOme people are assholes and instead of trying to explain why they say something, they just say it. SO right about now, you're probably telling me to go **** off in your head. I'm sorry, but if I'd rather someone tell me the truth than to feed me pretty lies.

Right now you are probably noticing how much better life is once you have committed yourself to NA, I promise you it getts even better once all the dope is gone too.

As for meetings, if it helps you to go to meetings and to share, then do it. Some people may get all pissy about it, but if it helps you, then do it.

I do have a question, are you on bupe for maintenance or detox? If it's for detox then it shouldn't be that much longer and you won't have to worry about it.

I'm not knocking methadone or bupe, if it wasn't for the done I wouldn't be where I am today, just trying to give you an alternate interpertation.

P.S.-I really do like you and I hope you choose to not let assholes screw with your recovery.

P.S.S.-also L in the life after methadone thread could probably give you some info on doing the 12 step thing while on a maintenance program, she was in aa for 2 years while on the done...