Old 07-20-2017, 11:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
MLD51
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in.

Just the other day, I had someone ask me why I quit drinking. I was at a bar where a band was playing outside - we were sitting outside, but I went in to get a club soda. A guy I used to see at bars a lot was standing there ordering drinks. He saw my club soda and said something about me not drinking that day, and I said "actually, I quit over two and a half years ago." He wondered why, so I told him it was because I decided it was getting to be too much for me and that I just felt it was time. He said that was great and then started defending his own drinking... Just like I would have done in the past. It really made me think, and made me realize how much time I had spent in denial. I have no idea if this guy has an actual drinking problem - I just found it interesting that he right away switched to explaining to me that he generally didn't overdo it.

Planning weekend activities - was very very vital to me in the beginning. It was just simple activites - hiking, going to meetings, going to movies, spending more time with my kids and grandchild. I don't feel like I have to plan every minute any more, I just really enjoy sometimes being at home with no plans. That would have been a recipe for disaster in the past. I do like that I now have the freedom to do anything I want on the spur of the moment now - in the past drinking got in the way of that.

This weekend will be pretty busy - my son starts rock band camp, and we will be getting him ready for that, and I'm driving him to camp about an hour and a half away Sunday morning.