View Single Post
Old 07-16-2017, 05:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SoberTyger

I know what you feel. I quit drinking 2˝ months ago, shortly after moving to start a new job in a small town in Norway (I lived in Denmark before) - apart from work collegues and my aa group i know nobody here, but as I was busy working i had noe big issues with loneliness - some weekends were tough, but i tried to cope going hiking or just sightseeing in the area - but 2 weeks ago i got serious back pain and had to get sick leave from work and the loneliness has really been tough to handle since then, and my motivation to do anything just seems to fade every day.
I do not really feel an urge to drink for the buzz of it or the feel of the alcohol, but i sure as hell miss going to the pub just for socializing and sitting around talking randomly with people as i often did as a drinker. One weekend i was so desperately lonely i went to a pub and drank soft drinks but it just didn't feel right, so i left after a while, worried that i might have taken a beer if I'd stayed any longer. I just cant think of any places to go in this small town, where you can just hang around and be social similar to how you sit at the pub, just without the drinks - going to the café, the beach or the park just makes me feel more alone and isolated seeing others hang around with friends, family and loved ones, so i tend to just do activities on my own, just driving around, going angling a bit or - unfortuenately - spend way too much time just sitting at home wasting my time doing nothing... the fact that my back hurts so much i cant walk or stand for longer times doesn't help me either