View Single Post
Old 07-12-2017, 06:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
tealily

FitD,

You didn't hijack anything! I'm so glad you posted.

I'm very sorry that you private messaged me and I didn't see it! I'm still pretty new here and not really sure how the chat and messages work, so somehow I missed it.

So much of what you say I can relate to, too. (I actually grew up in a military family.) I started drinking heavily when my kids were about the ages of yours now. It gets harder and harder to hide it from them the older they get. They see and understand a lot more than we give them credit for. I thought I was hiding things so "well", but no. My youngest, at age 15, calling me out on my secret drinking, was a major tipping point.

I had been lurking on this site for years.. it's only now that I've posted and started writing about my issues and owning up to them .. plus acknowledged I'm not drinking to my husband and kids .. that I've been able to turn the corner. SR is my only outside support so far.

Some of the things that helped me was to realize that we really do have the power to NOT drink. Don't buy it. Don't have it in the house. Don't let it go down your throat. My husband offered to not have wine in the house for himself, and that has helped me a lot.

Please continue posting and let all the experienced people here help! You really can change things. I'm so glad to meet you and I'm with you!