Old 07-11-2017, 01:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
nova84

'Nadi Shodhana' aka alternate nostril breathing...

So some wonderful person on SR recommended alternate nostril breathing (can't now find the post)...and I was just feeling anxious and thought let me look online for the technique as I need to do something to relieve this anxiety. I found the below information online and thought it might be helpful to others...I definitely feel better having spent 5 mins using the technique..thank you whoever you are who recommended this technique 💜

Your nose is directly linked to your brain and nervous system. Alternate nostril breathing (otherwise known as Nadi Shodhana) is especially wonderful for anxiety because it is said to balance the left and right hemispheres of the brain and calm the nerves:

1. It activates the parasympathetic nervous system, which shifts you out of the ‘fight or flight’ stress response towards relaxation.
2. It enhances respiratory functions: increases respiratory strength and endurance, which is normally one of the first things to go when panic strikes.
3. It improves attention and fine-motor coordination/performance: to get you out of your head and back into your body and the present moment.

How to Practice Alternate Nostril Breathing:

•Find a quite place and sit in any comfortable seated position. Relax the body and breath naturally for a few moments, allowing your mind and body to settle.
•Rest your left hand on your lap or knee.
•Make a “peace sign” with your right hand. Fold the two extended fingers toward the palm. Place your thumb gently on your right nostril and your ring gently onto your left nostril.
•Close your eyes and begin by softly closing your right nostril (using your right thumb) and inhale slowly, deeply, smoothly, gently and without strain through your left nostril.
•Close your left nostril (using your ring finger) and open your right. Exhale through your right nostril then inhale through your right nostril.
•Close your right nostril and release left. Exhale through your left nostril.
•This completes one round but continue going for as long as you’d like. Suggested for 3-5 minutes to really feel the calming effects.
•When you are finished: relax both arms at your sides, sit and breathe naturally for a few moments before opening your eyes and getting on with your day.