Old 07-11-2017, 01:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Needabreak

Originally Posted by aliciagr View Post
Thanks for you support, and your prayers. I hope this explains the detachment/minimizing issue. I doubt it, but I tried. I dont mind people asking me questions or expressing concerns as long as its coming from a good place.
I think a lot of the emotions generated come from the fact that many of us have been down a long, dark road. You're young. The baby hasn't been born yet. There will be more to this story.

I spent more than 20 years in a relationship with an addict. It didn't end well. After it ended, he was involved in a hit and run while under the influence (cocaine and alcohol). He's serving time, and I am only thankful that I was already divorced; otherwise I would have been facing lawsuits and legal issues as well, since he used to drive my car. Medical issue or behavioral issue, the consequences of addiction are very real. And, looking back, I would give anything to have left sooner than I did.

I do admire your courage and fearlessness, in putting yourself and your opinions out there. This is a huge life skill to develop. Just don't forget where things can go with addiction, or schizophrenia, or personality disorders, or any other mental issues. Whatever it is, there is no cure. Some people will just not get better, or will have devastating relapses. Discernment in who we choose to share our lives with is also an important life skill.