Old 07-11-2017, 06:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
atalose

I absolutely think you are doing the right thing. I also think you are extremely courageous and thinking with a healthy mind to have cancelled all of those things that would have bound you to him and his addiction. I think you are smart in not believing his words and only time will reveal his true intentions for himself with his addiction.

I can understand your parents being hurt, disappointed and angry with him, after all he deeply disappointed and hurt their child. I’m sure your parents understand that addiction is life long, there is no cure so it’s not like he can just go rehab and get fixed. The only fix for addiction is a persons deep desire to not use drugs/booze and to seek help to bring that about. Then they must re-commit daily for the rest of their lives.

He keeps telling me it wasn't him, that it will never be him again.
See that’s just it, yes it is him, he’s a drug addict and addiction is part of who he is whether he likes that or not. And addiction will always be part of who he is whether he’s using or not using.

One of our best tools when ending a relationship with an addict is to go no contact. Put lots of emotional and physical distance between you two. Allow him time to work on him while you heal from this.

It’s never easy to end a relationship it’s never a picnic feeling all of the emotions of grief but we do work our way through it and we do survive but living daily with an active A is a life of daily and constant grief with a dash of anxiety and a lot of stress.

Trust your instincts that YES you are doing the right thing!!