View Single Post
Old 07-08-2017, 04:22 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
August252015

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
In my opinion, no, the book does not romanticize alcohol and I don't think Caroline ever felt she was in control of alcohol. I found Caroline's book to be so deeply honest, brave and raw. She does describe things from her drinking days which are essential to the story. So, if you are concerned, it could be a problem for you. That said, it's a most brilliant book, written by a high-functioning young woman and in my opinion, the best bio about addiction that's out there.
I think what Anna says is accurate and I think Driver8's comment about the white wine is also a good observation.

One thing Knapp did in this outstanding book (I have it and have read it many times, while still drinking and since) is describe how central alcohol was to her role in journalism. Like many of us, alcohol became an end-of-the-day friend....til it became so much more.

Among the many bios and auto-bios I have read, this is one I recommend most. Every time I read the part about her playing piggy back with the kids it kills me. Her relationship with her father, in particular, is also a strong thread in the book. I think there is at least one aspect most of us can relate to intimately in her story.

Just as an added $0.02 - other books I personally found really strong and relatable are Elizabeth Vargas's 2016 book (while not even close to the experience of hers, I have discovered that anxiety has been a problem for me all of my life) and Patrick Kennedy's books; I particularly liked the second one which is basically an anthology of people's experiences (both famous and not). Thirdly, and particularly for women in their 20s-40s based on active drinking and when we quit, is Blackout by Sarah Hepola. This story so closely mirrored my own that I had to read it sober and much of it was a gut-punch of recognition. Like the other great memoirs, the ultimate message of these books is of survival and recovery from alcoholism- and the reality of life (and, in Knapp's case, among others so far) and death once sobriety is found.