View Single Post
Old 07-08-2017, 12:18 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
bronzie

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
I understand what you are saying and I don't disagree with you but I think everybody's situation is different. Some people are lucky enough to have family and friends to support them. Other's do not. That makes a big difference. Some people are alone in their struggle and it's not always a choice. Sure, there are many programs out there that offer support, but at the end of the day, you are alone to deal with it. Sadly, I think this is something that happens a lot. For example; years ago I had family and friends around to support me. For several reasons, that support is gone. When I had that support, I couldn't understand why people just don't quit. Now I understand. That's why I try hard not to judge anybody's situation. It used to be easy for me to point fingers and say what's your problem? Just do it. Not anymore. John
Exactly, John. People find sobriety through different paths because everyone has different situations in their lives.
No, I don't believe it's "okay" to relapse, "because we are alcoholics," as someone above mentioned. But the reality is that relapse happens, which is why so many methods in the rehabilitation industry have such low success rates. When people say, "why don't you just quit," like it's an easy decision for an addict to just snap their fingers and say they're done, well the documentary I watched explains that in the first 5 minutes. It's not that easy, which is why so much research has gone into finding a method that actually works long term.