View Single Post
Old 07-07-2017, 04:02 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
2muchpain

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post
No, quitting drinking is a single definitive action, it does actually happen over night. If yesterday I drank and today I decided never to do it again, I quit, and it happened over night.

Recovery takes time, but it takes even longer if you never start because you keep on drinking.

Someone once told me it was okay to relapse because we're alcoholics, that's what we do. It's not.
I understand what you are saying and I don't disagree with you but I think everybody's situation is different. Some people are lucky enough to have family and friends to support them. Other's do not. That makes a big difference. Some people are alone in their struggle and it's not always a choice. Sure, there are many programs out there that offer support, but at the end of the day, you are alone to deal with it. Sadly, I think this is something that happens a lot. For example; years ago I had family and friends around to support me. For several reasons, that support is gone. When I had that support, I couldn't understand why people just don't quit. Now I understand. That's why I try hard not to judge anybody's situation. It used to be easy for me to point fingers and say what's your problem? Just do it. Not anymore. John