View Single Post
Old 07-04-2017, 07:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
mfanch
Recovered

Very happily married here. We will have 19 years of marriage this August. Our kids were 7 and 4 when I got sober (now 15 and 12).

I drank for the first 10 years. When I got sober in 2009, the key that helped us was that my husband got help, too. It is a family disease. We decided that there was a foundation worth saving in our marriage and that we still loved each other. So we "tore the house down" to build a new one. We worked our asses off - together. We went to marriage counseling and individual counseling. He went to al-anon, I went to treatment and AA. It was all very intense at first. (not to mention finding child care during all this!!)

Our relationship is amazing today. I never thought it could be this good. He is my best friend and confidant. It was a LOT of hard work, but it paid off and continues to pay...every single day.

We hardly remember how bad it was back then. We even joke about "how we used to be." How "crazy we both were". Then we jokingly point the finger at each other. lol

So I would ask you...do you still love him? Are you willing to work? Work on yourself? Work HARD? Not everyone is. Maybe find a counselor and explore the answers to these questions if you are not sure.