Thread: 4 weeks
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2017, 11:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
LastingChange

4 weeks

Hi All!

This weekend marked 4 weeks for me, yet on Friday night I very nearly threw it all away. I got exam results back and my honours degree in Psychology. I worked my ass off for this degree, working full time and studying part time. Myself and my husband went for dinner to celebrate, and the familiar voice began it's usual manipulation tactics - I deserve some wine, even just one glass, two; share a bottle and that will be it. I churned over this the whole time I was getting ready, wrestling with it in my mind. Ultimately, remembering this site, and all of the support I've gotten from this community gave me the strength of will to stay on the straight and narrow. I didn't touch a drop!

What's more, to celebrate waking up fresh and not hungover and crippled with anxiety and guilt, I spent a wonderful active weekend outdoors with my husband - we played tennis on Saturday and went for a 3 hour hike yesterday, which was so much fun.

Taking enjoyment from sober activities is one of the best ways to counter that niggling AV for me. It reminds me of how much I used to love being outdoors and doing other things that don't centre around alcohol - and most of all how much l love being present in my own life, fit, healthy and unencumbered by feelings of dread, fear, guilt, shame and anxiety.

Starting the week on such a positive note and feeling reinvigorated on this journey.

Hope everyone else is having a wonderful Monday morning also!! :-)