View Single Post
Old 09-19-2005, 03:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
angelgirl
You're never alone!!

Hey Cassy,
Ok, I'm trying to word this the best way I can.
I am a recovering opiate addict. Heroin is a very, very hard drug to kick. But not at all impossible. Now he is on the methadone program? Is that what you mean? Or do ou mean that he is just taking methadone on his own, and now also trying to detox from that?? I am a bit confused, maybe that's just me.
I feel terribly sorry for you. But you said you are clean, so you do know what you are walking into. It is just so difficult dealing with someone who is using. Even if they say they are trying to get clean. Its good if you see them really trying to make changes, like is he going to meetings? Or has he ever gone to one? Is he in a methadone prgram? If so, and he is still using, because I think that is what you said, then maybe he isn't quiet ready to be done suffering yet. Be very careful not to enable him. I believe it is good to help people who are trying hard to help them selves, but I have also read alot about people (codies) helping (enabling people who they really want to believe are trying to quit, ( mainly because the drug abuser tells them they are tryin to quit) but enabling with the bes of intentions. But sometimes I have read even when you buy them food, and stuff like that,, it leaves them extra money instead of having to buy some groceries, or pay a bill ( which the person that is really trying to help them did for them Example) they can then have extra money for more dope. So just be careful. It's a tough spot to be in.
You said you stepfather was in a house treatment, and he was clean for many years, maybe that is an excellent place that your friend should be? I don't know. I am not trying to make judgments here, not at all, I am really happy you found SR, it's a great place, tons of support, I am just showing you different sides.
You really can't help him if he isn't ready to help himself, and if he used 3 times on the meth program this week, then I would really wonder. You may be getting caught up in something that is just hard to get out of, you know the big messy circle of addiction?
Like I said, I am just showing you both sides of the coin.
I wish you lots of luck. I hope it works out the way that is best for you and for him. I hope he finds a good solid recovery program. I also hope you come back, and keep us posted, and let us know how he's doing.
You might also want to check out the naranon forum for support, after you get some answers here, or while your waiting, whatever.. Even though you are in recovery, now you're kind of "on the other side of the fence, in a sense"
Good luck
Love, Becky