Thread: Timing
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2017, 12:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sasha1972

FWIW I find this site is really helpful even if I don't consider myself codependent or caught in a cycle. I'm as sure as I can possibly be that I will never end up in a relationship (of any kind) with an addict again. However, I did spend 25 years with one (more than half my life), and places like this site or AlAnon help me to understand how it affected me. I am also stuck still dealing with this alcoholic because we have a child together, so advice and support on this is very welcome.

I didn't stay so long because I was codependent, I stayed because until the last few years of the marriage, I had no frickin' clue about the magnitude ex's problems with alcohol. Then when I did begin to get a clue, I spent a couple of years trying to change myself so that he wouldn't "have to" drink. And then, when that didn't work, I left, figuring it was better for Kid to have a mother who was in a good place and moving forward than to have an "intact" parent-unit. And I STILL didn't really grasp just how bad things were with ex, until the progression of the disease and deterioration in his functioning made it impossible to miss.

So even if you're not codependent in any way, there is still a lot of insight and wisdom here.