View Single Post
Old 06-28-2017, 11:31 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
JLynn80

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Why do you have to judge whether anything might come of this? Recovery happens in weird ways. My first husband (sober 37 years) had sort of fallen away from AA when he moved across the country. He stayed sober, was doing fine, and then we had a personal family calamity hit. We were already divorced and he was remarried, but our older son encountered a crisis that affected us all. My ex was beside himself, and I asked whether he'd called anyone in the program. It was like a lightbulb went on, and he said, "No, but good idea." He did, it helped get him through it, and he remains very involved in AA today. He often expresses gratitude that I mentioned it when I did.

Sometimes things come together at a certain time, in a certain way, that makes someone ready when they weren't before.

So it doesn't affect you directly either way. Obviously you will be happy if he gets back into recovery, but you don't have to hold your breath to find out if he does. It has no meaning for you unless he's ready to do what he needs to do, and you have no control over that.
You are absolutely right. And I know that. It is hard to get your hopes up time and time again and be disappointed so I try to not have too many expectations. This raises another question of which I've always had to be the one to deal with...the kids. My DS doesn't say a lot at 14 but is noticing more and more. My DD who is 17 DOES ask about Dad. For years I've tried to shield them from anything that could hurt them but I don't do it anymore. If they walk out on him smoking, then so be it the consequences are his. Anyhow, they can both see when he's going to meetings daily and when he quits going. They don't ask him about it, they ask me. What is the best thing to say?