View Single Post
Old 06-26-2017, 07:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Mizzuno

I dont think there is any rule in AA that people cannot have new relationships in the first year. Its understandable why, over time, this "rule" would develop but its not a part of the Big Book as far as I know.

When people relapse or get sober again, all their energy is focused on getting making it through the initial days and getting their lives in order. Its a big task to undertake and it requires a lot of attention.

Its not your job to help this person through his struggles. The lines can get blurred here. He may need to go about fixing his life without the weight of a relationship. If that is the case, I think leaving it open to sex and other things is a bit confusing. You clearly have a lot of emotions invested in this guy.

You said that leaving him is not an option for you. In any relationship the road should be two ways. He should not be calling all the shots as to what takes place and what doesnt. If he just feels like he needs a break then take a solid break. Are you willing to set up some boundaries for yourself so you do not get overly invested or hurt?