View Single Post
Old 06-25-2017, 11:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
confusedarewe

Dating someone during sobriety

Hi,

I met a wonderful man 3 months ago. We totally clicked! I fell in love with him pretty quickly. 2 1/2 months in- He confessed to being an alcoholic and he had a slip. I stayed with him for 3 days while weaning himself off his binge. After a week, he was sober. He hates drinking and has been actively involved in A A for many years. Of course it is discouraged to be in a relationship during recovery (which really angers me since I'm 100% supportive and even went to AA with him). Even though we were together before the slip, he feels that we should take it down a notch. Meaning, we still see each other, still have sex and still stay exclusive but without the "bf/gf" title. This way, there is no pressure and he can put sobriety first. I'm confused. I want to see him through this all the way so we can be whole again. Is he using me- or should I see it as a loving gesture that he isn't letting me go? He said he could have let me go to during recovery but didn't want to and we both agreed that we want to be in each other's lives. He is trying to keep his emotions at bay while in recovery mode. Leaving him is not an option for me if we are both willing to work through this. By the way- I went to my first Al Anon meeting tonight and was very discouraged. I need advice and they don't give it and I understand that it's different for everyone, but these are the people that understand this issue the best! Advice is what I need and want. Plus nobody offered a phone number. Somebody- please help with encouraging words. I'm very upset with this sudden change. Thank you!