View Single Post
Old 06-24-2017, 10:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
PhoenixJ

Professiona,l supervision ..inpatient for DT's. 'The shakes'. I had serious seizures, on top of everything else. THAT is dangerous. Then I would suggest rehab. Also counselling and meetings. I have seen many rationalise that replacing drugs with booze is okay. I even know people who think to replace booze or drugs with pot is okay (can cause psychosis). OR that buying over the counter tablets in a chemist is okay. No- it is not . Also people who turn to gambling, or sex, or food, or work. Any addiction is destructive because it means a person is doing abnormal stuff which is damaging, destructive and potentially fatal. On going support- and not self medicating is important. I have known nurses to drink hand sanitiser, smart women who drink perfume, or even people who will go to an AA meeting- and drink a bottle of alcohol based mouth/breath freshener in the toilet in the break. Obviously a person who smells minty fresh at 15 feet is not natural. It has nothing to do with 'looking normal' or that classic 'I am a functioning alcoholic'. I functioned- until I nearly died. It is not even the amount or the drug- it is what it does to the person.
My support and empathy offered.