View Single Post
Old 06-24-2017, 03:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
dandylion
Community Greeter

Allsolovely.....here is my take on it.....Not to even say the word "you", to start a sentence....(like the other poster suggested)....
I would begin with something like this: "I have a concern (problem) with how much you have been drinking. I am worried about the effect it is having on me and our marriage as a whole".
then....I would to put my cards on the table...honestly....I think that honesty, on your part is very important, here (unless he has a history of physical abuse)....
Make it all about you and how it is affecting your life and happiness....
That makes it less easy for him to get defensive.....

Now, having said this...he will probably get defensive. He will probably make every excuse in the world about why he needs to drink...and he will, for almost certain, minimize it...and, may blame you for it or try to deflect the whole subject and focus on some "fault" of yours---to get the spotlight off of him.
DON'T bite!
If he gets argumentative...just say something like---"I just think that you deserved to know where I am coming from"....and leave the area or change the subject....

You will have done your part...putting the ball in his court and given him the information about how you feel..
Now, it will be his up to him for how he chooses to use that information. The ball will be in his court...his turn to serve....

If he persists...you can, also, say----"This is not for argument or for debate".....

Meanwhile, back on your side of the street...lol...it is time to establish boundaries for yourself and to get support for the journey that, surely, lies ahead....