View Single Post
Old 06-24-2017, 05:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
HeyImThatGuy

From Heroin To Alcohol..

First post here... Well, it's been a few months I've been dealing with this. It's currently 7:54 AM, and I am just tired of it. I figured I would come here because I feel like I have nowhere else to turn. I'm a 22 year old male that used opioids, and heroin nearly everyday for 2 and a half years from the years 2013-2015 I haven't used heroin in well over a year now. To simply get to the point, I went to detox, and then moved into a halfway house for addicts, and alcoholics immediately after, a little longer than a year ago. I attended 90 meetings in 90 days and I was doing extremely well. To be fair I haven't used any opiate since then, even today. Here is where the actual problem lies at the moment though. I feel as if after I left the halfway house, within a month or two, I found myself drinking moderate amounts of alcohol. At the time it wasn't alerting, but I definitely figured I should keep a watch of how much alcohol I consume (I have heard an alcoholic is an addict, and an addict is an alcoholic, but I never believed this to be true during my time in the program) Here I am at the age of 22 downing typically upwards of 12-15 beers a night, a 5th of the cheapest **** liquor I can get my hands on, or a combination of the both, when not so long ago, I was drinking fairly responsible. I don't understand it. It makes me both sad, and angry at most of the time I drink now'days. I obviously know I have to put down the booze... it just has to be done, just like my past habit, but I just don't know if I should go cold turkey, or what, if I decide to do this. Would the hospital make that decision for me if I decided to check myself into detox again? Within 12-15 hours of my last drink (figuring I've had my usual) I start to jitter, and become very anxious. I have a hard time talking to people, and I've noticed many times when I'm at the liquor store after those 12-15 hours of not having a drink my hands are almost shivery-like when I'm handing the cashier the money. I've done some research on this, and I'm scared the hospital won't give me the medication I need to get through this without feeling like death the entire time I'm there which scares me... sorry for the long post, I just wanted to explain my current situation the absolute best I could without writing an entire book. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.