View Single Post
Old 06-23-2017, 11:52 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  
Gilmer

Wow, Budd! Good job with the weight! How did you do it? I should lose 20 pounds, too. I keep losing a few and gaining them back. I'm trying to change my attitude toward food.

Hi, Duff. I'm fine. I had a very stressful exam last week, and I've spent all of this week slowly coming alive again.

We were away last weekend. When we came home, we found that power had been out for many hours and everything in the fridge and freezer had gone bad.

Yesterday I steeled myself up like a Sherman tank and went roaring through the supermarket. Between the shopping and the putting away, it took up the whole day.

The good news is that I bought a lot of meat and vegetables for actual cooking. I was in such a catatonic state last week with my test that cooking went by the wayside. We ate a lot of grease and junk with zero nutrition.

I loaded up with spinach today. I'm trying to serve (and eat) healthier food.

This is how I'm trying to change my attitude toward food. You know how people tend to take things for granted and feel a lot less grateful when they get it for nothing? But if they have to invest something of themselves in obtaining it, it becomes a lot more valuable to them.

I know this is true of health. I just found out that my calcium levels are deteriorating (with plenty of supplements). One potential help is weight-bearing exercises: so now I'd better start walking in earnest!

I feel that I take food for granted, too. I grab the simplest, fastest processed food possible to cram into my piehole while I'm sitting and studying. I graze without even thinking about it beyond whether it's salty or sweet.

You know, considering I've been a committed Christian for 35 years, I'm ashamed to admit that I only say grace when other people around me say it and I'll look like a super jerk if I fail to go along.

I just dive right into the food. I always make a joke of it, but I have a feeling that I really need to grow up in this regard.

I obviously take food for granted. Many people starve throughout the world--and I get annoyed if I have to wait ten seconds before my third (or fourth) meal of the day! (I'm preaching to myself here).

I also need to invest more of myself in the food I consume--I plan to take the time and effort to cook nourishing food. That might take an hour. But I will think good and hard before deciding to eat something--it won't be as simple as opening a bag of chips.

That new leaf started yesterday! It's been going on a for a grand total of a day and a half!

Hopefully I'll stay more faithful to my ideals now that I've delivered an impassioned speech!

Seriously, I really need to do at least a little better than I have been.