View Single Post
Old 06-21-2017, 11:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hangnbyathread

It doesn't have to be God. My God didn't get me involved with an Alcoholic. I did that myself. I didn't need God to help me get away from it. No doubt about it a Higher Power created earth and nature and storms and such, but you can call that a scientific higher power if you wish. To me a higher power is the things that occur that can't occur under normal circumstances.

The concept of a higher power can be things like, I happened to drive this way instead of that way and a good thing happened to me as a result. Or it is the strength that is within you to make changes that you don't think you can. The HP can be a moment of focus that you couldn't find until reading a book or watching someone else motivate you. It can be fleeting, it can be lifelong.

Once I let go of the idea that a HP had to be a God, it was easier for me to make peace with the notion that God has nothing to do with us being involved with an alcoholic or them being an alcoholic or any other such thing. Nor was out of touch with God because I was with one. I didn't need to pray about it. No God I believe in would subject me or anyone to the hardship that comes with being involved with an alcoholic. WE DID THIS TO OURSELVES!

There are many things that are HP events. If you wish to correlate that with God totally your prerogative.