View Single Post
Old 06-21-2017, 10:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
JeffreyAK

Ananda, LSR = LifeRing. Marty's "Empower your sober self" was huge for me early on, though when I read it a few years later it struck me different, kinda angry and very anti-AA - but getting out of addiction is a process, and different things worked for me at different times. That book had an important place and time for me. The workbook is excellent, though it takes commitment to wade through it with a pencil - but you don't have to go through the whole book (I never did), you can pick out parts that seem important to you.

I do stay somewhat involved, maintaining the web site and posting here now and then. I run a semi-weekly meeting that is just a few long-sober friends shooting the s**t and rarely talking about alcohol, but lately that's more like monthly. Once in a while, a few times a year, I'll drop by my old outpatient group, run by the same excellent counselor, just to check in. I don't want to totally disengage, and I think maintaining a low level of involvement is important for me long-term, just so I don't ever forget and so I have places to turn to for help if I need it, but I haven't had to work at sobriety in years. I'm just another teetotaler.